Blastocystis hominis is an organism that may be found in the stools of animals (dogs, cats, horses, pigs, cattle) and healthy people who aren’t having any digestive symptoms.
Signs and symptoms that might be associated with this infection include:
- loss of appetite;
- flatulence (excessive gas);
- abdominal cramps.
It can be spread by:
- traveling to countries where the organism is common;
- having contact with someone who is ill with this parasite;
- eating uncooked food contaminated with this parasite;
- swallowing recreational water (like – water parks, swimming pools, fountains, hot tubs, lakes, springs, rivers, ponds) contaminated with this parasite;
- drinking water from other contaminated sources, such as – poorly maintained or monitored wells;
- accidentally swallowing this parasite picked up from surfaces that are contaminated with feces from an infected animal or person, like – changing tables, diaper pails, bathroom fixtures, or toys.
- antiprotozoal medications, like – nitazoxanide (Alinia) or paromomycin;
- combination medications, like – trimethoprim (Septra, Bactrim) and sulfamethoxazole;
- antibiotics, like – tinidazole (Tindamax) or metronidazole (Flagyl).
Here is a list of top home remedies and natural treatments for blastocystis hominis infection:
#1 Black Walnut
The black walnut (scientific name – Juglans nigra) has been a nutritious addition to the diets of humans for millennia, from the Asian cultures to Native American ones.
Health benefits of black walnut include its capacity to reduce inflammation, improve heart health, and stimulate circulation. It is also used for the treatment of internal parasites in adults and other intestinal problems. It is recommended to take about 250 milligrams three times per day.
It is one of the most widely used spices worldwide. Moreover, garlic has potent anti-parasitic properties which help purge all types of intestinal parasites. For instance, according to some studies, it is able to kill more than 20 types of bacteria and 60 types of fungus, plus, some of the most powerful viruses.
Most of its qualities come from allicin, a natural compound in garlic that is known to kill internal worms. However, for allicin to do its thing, garlic must be sliced, diced, or chopped.
#3 Clove Essential Oil
This essential oil has potent antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal qualities. It kills internal parasites by destroying the eggs that worms lay in the intestinal tract. It is even more effective when combined with wormwood and black walnuts.
#4 Probiotics & Prebiotics
Probiotics restore the beneficial gut bacteria which is wiped out by yeast, oral contraceptives, parasites, or antibiotics.
Prebiotics are food ingredients (like – resistant starch, oligosaccharides, and fermentable fiber) that induce the activity or growth of beneficial microorganisms. Prebiotics also increase bone density and enhance magnesium and calcium absorption.
Wormwood, also referred to as Artemisia annua, is a bitter herb with a long history of medicinal use, also used in some alcoholic beverages. It has proven effective in treating parasitic intestinal infections due to its content of sesquiterpene lactones, which are thought to weaken parasite membranes.
Moreover, wormwood contains thujone and tannins, potent plant compounds that are also effective for treating intestinal worms. Also, this medicinal herb acts as a tonic for the digestive tract.
This amazing fruit has the capacity to destroy a variety of parasitic worms, including most intestinal tapeworm and worms as well as blastocystis hominis.
Children with intestinal parasites that consumed a mixture of papaya seeds and honey had their stools cleared of parasites, according to a 2007 pilot study issued in the Journal of Medicinal Food.
Papaya is also high in antioxidant nutrients, like – flavonoids, carotenes, vitamin C, vitamin B5, vitamin B9 (folate), potassium, dietary fiber, and magnesium.
#7 Oregano Essential Oil
It is an all-purpose natural antiviral, antibiotic, antimicrobial essential oil, known for preventing upper respiratory infections, colds, allergic reactions, candida overgrowth as well as treating internal parasites.
To use it, you can mix 3 drops of oregano essential oil in water with a freshly squeezed lemon and drink the mixture three times per day.
Goldenseal (scientific name – Hydrastis Canadensis) is an excellent ingredient to look for in eyewash and mouthwash recipes and formulas. Moreover, it is a natural remedy for numerous internal parasites because of its content of berberine, a plant natural compound that works against intestinal parasites, like – Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia lamblia, blastocystis hominis, and pinworms.
Berberine also promotes healthy respiratory mucous membranes, provides broad-spectrum immune support, maintains the body’s normal intestinal flora, and maintains a healthy immune response.
#9 Pumpkin Seeds
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, pumpkin seeds are an effective cure for intestinal worms. Additionally, eating only a small amount of pumpkin seeds can provide you with a notable quantity of magnesium, healthy fats, calcium, and zinc.
You can use these seeds by blending a cup of raw pumpkin seeds with half a cup of water and half a cup of coconut milk, then intake the resultant paste.
#10 Diatomaceous Earth
This is a naturally occurring substance that has the remarkable capacity to kill yeast, intestinal parasites, and parasite eggs. The only known side effect is its attribute to irritate the lungs if inhaled.
Furthermore, food grade diatomaceous earth easily absorbs E. coli (pathogenic bacteria found in foods, environment, and intestines of animals and people), methylmercury, viruses, endotoxins, drug residues, and organophosphate pesticide residues.
You can prevent getting infected with this parasite if you:
- avoid uncooked foods washed with unboiled tap water and avoid drinking unboiled tap water when you are traveling in countries where the water supply may be contaminated;
- wash and peel all raw fruits and vegetables before eating;
- avoid food or water which may be contaminated;
- teach children the importance of washing hands to prevent any type of infection;
- wash your hands with warm water and soap after changing diapers, using the toilet, and before handling food.
Image credit – Shutterstock
READ THIS NEXT: Famous People With Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD)