Vegan Mushrooms Stew With Polenta Recipe:
Mushrooms may seem trivial, but they are indeed superfoods. That’s because they don’t contain any fat, sugar or salt and are a valuable source of fiber and vitamins B: vitamin B1, riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pyridoxine (B6) and folacin (folic acid).
Mushrooms also contain essential minerals, including potassium, copper, iron, and phosphorus. But the most significant is selenium, which is not found in many fruits or vegetables.
With more than 90% water content, adding mushrooms to your daily meals can make you feel full without increasing the caloric content.
It was also found that the active antiviral compounds of lentinan, present in shiitake mushrooms, boost the immune system. They can also help lower blood cholesterol and reduce the harmful effects of saturated fats.
On the other hand, maitake mushrooms are a rich source of beta-glucan, which has potential antitumor effects.
Even in small quantities, wood ear mushrooms can thin the blood, preventing heart disease and strokes.
Mushrooms are rich in antioxidants
Champignon mushrooms could lead to significant health benefits. Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania have found that a few mushrooms contain 12 times more L-Ergothioneine, a powerful antioxidant, than wheat germ and 4 times more than chicken liver, until now considered as the most important sources.
L-Ergothioneine has powerful effects on the unstable substances that permanently attack and harm cell membranes, known as free radicals, and protects the body’s DNA from further damage.
Bell peppers are fruits that belong to the nightshade family. One medium-sized red bell pepper provides 169 percent of the RDI for vitamin C.
Other benefits include:
- ensure proper blood flow;
- fighting cancer;
- supports eye health;
- support respiratory health;
- increases none-heme iron absorption;
- slow down the aging process;
- supporting the nervous system.
Ingredients for Vegan Mushroom Stew With Polenta Recipe
- 1 kg mushrooms
- 3 red or yellow peppers
- 1 carrot
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- fresh parsley leaves
- Peel the mushrooms (optional) and start chopping them, but not too small.
- Grate the carrot.
- Mince the onions and thinly slice the peppers.
- Put the carrot, oil, peppers, onions, salt, and pepper in a pot and let them heat, while stirring.
- After 10 minutes, add 1 cup of hot water. Cover the pot with a lid.
- After 10 minutes, add the mushrooms.
- After 10 minutes, add 2 tablespoons of flour previously mixed with 1 small cup of water.
- Let it boil at medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, then turn off the heat and add the chopped parsley and minced garlic.
The mushroom stew is served with hot polenta.