Lazy eye, also referred to as amblyopia, is a childhood condition in which a child’s eyesight does not develop correctly in one eye.
In most cases, one eye sees more clearly than the other, hence, the slang term “lazy” for the other eye.
According to statistics, approximately 2 to 3% of the American population has some degree of amblyopia.
In most cases, the condition does not cause symptoms. However, when symptoms occur, they include:
- having an upper eyelid which droops;
- having an eye which does not move with the other eye or wanders;
- squinting or tilting the head to look at something;
- complaining or crying when one eye is covered;
- having eyes which do not fix on the same point or move in the same direction.
If left untreated, amblyopia can cause severe visual disability in the affected eye, including legal blindness.
The most common causes of amblyopia are:
- physical blockage of an eye due to trauma (on the transparent layer at the front of the eye), cataract (clouding of the naturally clear lens of the eye), blocked tear duct, or lid droop (ptosis);
- anisometropia that leads to refractive amblyopia or anisometropic amblyopia;
- constant strabismus.
Factors associated with an increased risk of amblyopia include:
- developmental disabilities;
- premature birth;
- a family history of amblyopia;
- small size at birth.
- complete eye exam;
- visual acuity measurement in each eye and both eyes together;
- fundus examination;
- external or slit lamp exam;
- cycloplegic refraction.
There are two approaches to amblyopia treatment:
- getting the affected eye to work so that vision can develop;
- treating an underlying eye problem.
Surgery is commonly required if the condition is due to a large eye turn.
If treatment is started before the age of 7, then it is usually possible to restore normal vision.
Here Is A List Of 10 Celebrities With Lazy Eye:
#1 Heidi Klum
She is a German television personality, model, fashion designer, businesswoman, television producer, singer, actress, and author. In 1999, Heidi was the first German model to become a Victoria’s Secret Angels. She also appeared on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
Heidi Klum admitted that she has a lazy eye.
#2 Kristen Bell
She is an American actress who is best known in films such as ”Couples Retreat”, ”Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” and ”Get Him to the Greek” as well as for her roles on TV’s ”Veronica Mars.” For her performance in Veronica Mars, Bell was awarded a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television.
Kristen Bell has a lazy eye. She even nicknamed her right eye “Wonky.”
#3 Zac Efron
He is an American actor who began acting professionally in the early 2000s. Zac starred in:
- The Greatest Showman (2017);
- Baywatch (2017);
- Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (2016);
- Hairspray (2007);
- Dirty Grandpa (2016);
- Neighbors (2014);
- 17 Again (2009);
- The Paperboy (2012);
- The Lucky One (2012);
- New Year’s Eve (2011).
Most people never even notice that Zac Efron has a lazy eye, even with all the time they have looking at those beautiful eyes.
#4 Katy Perry
Katy Perry is an American pop singer who gained fame for a playfully cartoonish sense of style and for sexually suggestive hit songs. In 2014, she became the 1st person to reach 50 million Twitter followers.
“I got a prescription for my wonk eye to make go bigger whenever I take pictures because I have a slight wonk,” Katy Perry said during an interview.
#5 Melissa Joan Hart
She is an American voice artist, director, actress, producer, singer, businesswoman, and fashion designer. She has been married to musician Mark Wilkerson since July 19, 2003. Melissa is best known for her starring roles in:
- Melissa & Joey (2010–2015);
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996–2003);
- Clarissa Explains It All (1991–1994).
Melissa Joan Hart has a lazy eye and probably was born with it.
#6 Topher Grace
He is an American actor who is known for playing in:
- Under the Silver Lake;
- War Machine;
- The Big Wedding;
- the Fox sitcom That ’70s Show;
- Take Me Home Tonight;
- Sam Raimi’s film Spider-Man 3;
- Valentine’s Day;
- Mona Lisa Smile;
- Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!;
- American Ultra;
Topher Grace has a lazy eye and is very noticeable in Spider-Man 3.
#7 Kate Moss
She is a British fashion model whose natural look and waifish figure redefined the fashion industry in the 1990s. Kate Moss has a lazy eye and wonky teeth.
#8 Ryan Gosling
He is a Canadian musician and actor who came to the attention of a wider audience in 2004 in the successful romantic drama The Notebook. Ryan Gosling’s left eye droops slightly to the left.
#9 Taylor Lautner
He is an American voice actor, actor, and model who is best known for playing Jacob Black in The Twilight Saga film series. Taylor Lautner also has a lazy eye.
#10 Paris Hilton
She is an American socialite, businesswoman, model, media and television personality, actress, and singer. She also has her own line of dresses, perfume, footwear, and coats.
Paris Hilton has an amblyopic left eye, causing it to droop slightly. The majority of people with lazy eyes are born with it, however, Paris Hilton’s wonky eye was caused by a medical surgery.