It is a supplement that is clinically shown to sharpen your mind, improve memory, and help you think more clearly. The manufacturer claims that this memory supplement is based on more than 15 years of research.
Mechanism of Action
The apoaequorin in the memory supplement releases calcium and protein which is essential in boosting memory functions and improving sleep quality.
According to the data, consuming 10 milligrams of the supplement a day for three months will improve mental quality of seniors.
The main ingredient of this supplement is apoaequorin, which is a calcium-binding protein that helps regulate calcium levels within the human body.
However, the manufacturer states that apoaequorin is not extracted from jellyfish (the common names given to certain members of the subphylum Medusozoa).
As the manufacturer mentioned in a 2012 US Food and Drug Administration letter, they synthetically create it in the lab – “apoaequorin is no longer extracted from the jellyfish, rather rapidly dividing host cells are ‘taught’ to grow the unique protein.”
Other ingredients are as follows:
It is an important compound which helps our body to absorb and transport nutrients. Also, sodium chloride maintains the balance between potassium and sodium as well as it relaxes muscles.
It is a synthetic carboxylic acid with antifungal and antibacterial properties. Also, it increases the responsiveness of sensory stimuli which makes the person who ingested the capsule more focused.
Minerals like magnesium and zinc are good factors in keeping a healthy brain. Also, magnesium stearate is the most used compound in the world of medicine.
It is the disodium salt form of edetate and works mainly as a stabilizer and preservative.
According to the official website, the memory supplement helps in boosting brain function usually associated with the aging population.
Note – in 2015, the manufacturer was hit with a class-action lawsuit due to deceptive marketing practices – especially that apoaequorin is destroyed by the digestive system and transformed into common amino acids.
Reported side effects include:
- Stomach pain;
- Memory impairment;
It is a daily food supplement which was created to boost your brain and to support the brain’s functions, having a beneficial influence on your concentration and memory.
The supplement is produced by Factor Nutrition Labs, a limited liability company which manufactures dietary supplements.
One serving has:
- synergistic and proprietary formulation – 692 mg;
- vitamin A (as natural beta-carotene and mixed carotenoids) – 4,000 IU (80% DV);
- potassium (as potassium aspartate, potassium citrate, and potassium ascorbate) – 50 mg (1% DV);
- vitamin C (as ascorbic acid and ascorbyl palmitate) – 250 mg (417% DV);
- molybdenum (as molybdenum amino acid chelate) – 10 mcg (13% DV);
- vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) – 100 IU (25% DV);
- chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) – 100 mcg (83% DV);
- vitamin E (as natural d-alpha-tocopheryl succinate) – 30 IU (100% DV);
- manganese (as manganese citrate) – 2 mg (100% DV);
- thiamin (as thiamin mononitrate) – 3 mg (200% DV);
- copper (as copper citrate and as copper glycinate chelate) – 0.4 mg (20% DV);
- riboflavin – 1.7 mg (100% DV);
- selenium (as selenomethionine) – 50 mcg (71% DV);
- niacin (as niacinamide) – 25 mg (125% DV);
- zinc (as zinc ascorbate and zinc citrate) – 10 mg (67% DV);
- vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) – 15 mg (750% DV);
- magnesium (as magnesium malate, magnesium citrate, and magnesium taurinate) – 100 mg (25% DV);
- folate (as folic acid) – 400 mcg (100% DV);
- iodine [as kelp (ascophyllum nodosum)] – 15 mcg (10% DV);
- vitamin B12 (as ion exchange resin) – 20 mcg (333% DV);
- iron – 5 mg (28% DV);
- biotin – 300 mcg (100% DV);
- calcium (as calcium succinate, calcium citrate, and calcium ascorbate) – 50 mg (5% DV);
- pantothenic acid (as d-calcium pantothenate) – 12 mg (120% DV).
The supplement contains 23 different minerals and vitamins plus a 692 mg proprietary blend of 14 vitamins, herbs, and minerals. Some of the key ingredients are:
It is a type of omega 3 fatty acid which can help reduce the rate of memory loss more particularly in the younger generation.
It is included in this supplement to provide the body with more glutamate, a chemical which nerve cells use to send signals to other cells.
Vitamin D prevents the occurrence of rickets (a condition which results in weak or soft bones) among children and osteoporosis (a type of bone disease) among adults. It also helps your body to absorb calcium.
It is a requirement of collagen, a protein found in connective tissues which are vital for wound healing. Additionally, this vitamin plays an important part in the transformation of protein nutrients inside the human body.
Vitamin A helps in continuous cell growth which has an important role in keeping healthy kidneys, lungs, heart, and other internal organs. In addition, vitamin A is essential for vision as an important part of rhodopsin, a key protein nutrient which helps retinal receptors to absorb light.
It is a compound which can be used to treat depression. Dimethylethanolamine can also be taken to improve mental clarity and mood.
This extract can protect you from neural damage.
According to studies, extra choline in the body may help improve memory and mental clarity.
It is recommended to consume at least 4 pills every day with food. However, the dose depends on certain vital parameters such as your weight, age, and height.
Prevagen is a widely advertised dietary supplement which is labeled to contain man-made produced apoaequorin. Apoaequorin is a protein which was initially discovered in the jellyfish species Aequorea victoria. The price is $39.95 for 30 capsules, a 30-day supply.
Focus Factor is a dietary supplement which was manufactured to enhance the functions of the brain. The price is about $60 dollars per bottle. It is available on its official website along with other websites like GNC, Amazon, or Walmart.
In conclusion, Prevagen is a supplement that is based mainly on apoaequorin, whereas Focus Factor has numerous minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients. In our opinion, Focus Factor is a better choice.